ABC Legal: Your Sole Provider for International Service
This is the first article of our knowledge base series addressing international service of process highlighting ABC Legal's exclusive role and unique partnership with the U.S. Department of Justice.
In 2020 the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) once again awarded ABC Legal Services the contract to serve process and extrajudicial documents that come into the United States from foreign countries.
This is the fourth consecutive time ABC Legal has won the contract since the DOJ first outsourced the duty, previously performed by US Marshals.
Acting on behalf of the U.S. Central Authority, ABC Legal remains the only recognized service of process provider to receive requests for service submitted in accordance with the Hague Service Convention, the Inter-American Convention, and letters rogatory for service requests through diplomatic channels for civil and/or commercial matters. As it relates to service on private individuals and companies under this contract, ABC Legal performs the service-related activities of the U.S. Central Authority.
As the US Department of Justice website states, “The U.S. Department of Justice awarded ABC Legal the contract to execute requests for service of judicial and extrajudicial documents in civil and commercial matters directed at private individuals and companies in the United States. The contract was awarded under contract #15JPSS20C00000051, and is effective until January 31, 2025. ABC Legal manages all formal requests for service of judicial and extrajudicial documents pursuant to the Convention of 15 November 1965 on the Service Abroad of Judicial and Extrajudicial Documents in Civil or Commercial Matters (“Hague Service Convention”), the Additional Protocol to the Inter-American Convention on Letters Rogatory (“Inter-American Convention”), and letters rogatory service requests received through diplomatic channels.”
Thanks to more than 2,000 process server professionals with access to our unique database, ABC Legal's proprietary software platform, AI technology for the most efficient service of process within the industry, ABC Legal remains your unmatched provider, capable of service of process throughout the United States. This means ABC Legal remains your trusted provider capable of translating and certifying legal documents connected with an international process server network.
Important factors to NOTE:
- As stated on the DOJ website, ABC Legal, acting on behalf of the U.S. Central Authority, continues to be the only recognized service of process provider to receive requests for service submitted pursuant to the Hague Service Convention, the Inter-American Convention, and Letters Rogatory service requests through diplomatic channels for civil or commercial matters.
- Requests for service on the United States Government, which includes its departments, agencies and instrumentalities, shall be sent directly to the U.S. Central Authority, as this is not carried out by ABC Legal. Those requests should be sent directly to the Office of International Judicial Assistance (“OIJA”). Additional information about the U.S. Central Authority can be found on the Office of International Judicial Assistance website and by visiting our international service of process page here.
- Only ABC Legal can issue the official certificate in conformity with formal service in the United States pursuant to the Hague Service Convention and the Inter-American Convention, while the U.S. Department of Justice’s Office of International Judicial Assistance remains the U.S. Central Authority in all remaining aspects to these Conventions.
- For requests sent pursuant to the Hague Service Convention through diplomatic channels - ABC Legal acts on behalf of the U.S. Central Authority for incoming service requests only. All outgoing requests for service in foreign countries do not mandate processing by ABC Legal. However, ABC Legal can process both incoming and outgoing requests for service pursuant to the Inter-American Convention.
Trusted by the US Department of Justice, ABC Legal has the experience and capabilities to fully execute international service of process and extrajudicial documents that come into the United States from foreign countries. With access to the international process server network, ABC Legal has an outstanding team of professionals that can translate and certify your legal documents while maintaining the same level of customer service you’ve come to expect from us.
How do I initiate an international service of process request?
You can start your international service of process request now by visiting ABC Legal’s International Service Page.
Where can I learn more about other regulations impacting international service of process?
This is the first article of our knowledge base series addressing international service of process.
- In part one of this series we highlighted that the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) just awarded ABC Legal Services the contract to exclusively serve process and extrajudicial documents that come into the United States from foreign countries.
- In part two we answer questions around the Hague Service Convention and its impact on international service of process.
- Part three addresses the impact of the Inter-American Convention (IACAP) and its limited impact on International Service of Process between countries of the Americas.
- In part four we cover letters rogatory or letters of request.