Process Server Resources

Texas - Alternative Service

When Personal Service is Unachievable

Under certain circumstances, the courts will approve alternative service methods to strictly personal service. This opens the door to potentially performing substitute service or posting of the documents. Filing a motion for alternative service (or a 106/501*) is a process always initiated by ABC Legal.

Once the process has begun, you will receive a notification in ABC Mobile that reads "Hold Attempts. Motion for TX 106/501 In Progress." A special Proof of Non-Service will be dispatched to you that will require a signature. The purpose of this is that it is your testament to the truth of the attempts logged so far in that order.

When an Order Granting Alternative Service is received by ABC Legal, we will dispatch it to you along with the documents for service. This Order will state the method by which you can sub-serve the documents. The Order must be served along with the rest of the documents.

Once you receive the Order Granting Alternative Service, ensure that you read it. It will list whether substitute service, posted service, or both is allowed.

Personal service is always allowed, including when you have an alternative service order in hand. Make it a habit to knock the door one last time before posting!

*Rule 106 and Rule 501 of the Texas Rules for Civil Procedure specify when alternative service can be granted by a court.

See also: Texas - General Information; Substitute Service; and Other Types of Service